To Whom It May Concern,
Re: BAHAMAS EARTHTONES
Earthtones is the newest and best album yet from Bahamas, a.k.a. me Afie Jurvanen.
I wasn’t feeling too inspired in 2016. I’d been in a seemingly unbroken cycle of recording and touring for 6 years. I know, you’re saying to yourself “that’s so cliché, all musicians complain about being tired…” But wait, there’s more! Not knowing exactly what type of album to make, I was feeling pretty low. But at that very moment, my long-time manager and confidante Robbie Lackritz called and said “dude, you should make an album with D’Angelo’s rhythm section.” And just like that, the juices were flowing and the songs started coming.Read More
I wrote songs about having success, having kids, and having depression. I wrote songs about going on tour, going back in time and going in circles. I wrote songs about my otherworldly wife, my jerk dad and my garbage relationship with my brother. Crazy right?!
In Sept of 2016 I flew to Los Angeles and spent three days in the studio with the bass boss Pino Palladino and the titan of time keeping, Mr. James Gadson. No rehearsals, no charts, no rules. We worked fast and came away with 10 songs that sounded fresh and strange and warm and free of any genre. The results were so inspiring to me that I quickly pulled my road band (Felicity Williams, Christine Bougie, Darcy Yates, Jason Tait, Don Kerr) into a Prague studio to record a few more songs. And here’s the best part…the whole thing is produced by my long-time producer and confidante Robbie Lackritz, so you know the sound is correct, totally modern and completely familiar at the same time.
Whoa! I know! You’re saying to yourself “wait what? The same Robbie from earlier??
Yes! It’s a story about friendship come full circle, and how great it is to have someone in your life that can lift you up when you’re feeling down. It’s a very positive album about having a joie de vivre for the joys of life.
Okay, full disclosure…there’s a few slow jams too…
Hope you enjoy the music as much as I enjoyed making it.
Look forward to speaking with some of you soon (you know who you are.) haha!
p.s. Robbie just told me to add a bunch of stats and industry stuff to try and impress all of you big wigs. See below for huge facts on stuff you probably see all day.
- Multiple Juno Award nominations.
- Juno wins for “Song of the Year” and “Alt Album” 2015.
- A streaming juggernaut who averages 1.6 million monthly streaming listeners “All The Time” generated a staggering 32 million streams and counting and “Stronger Than That” cracked 9 million.
- Don’t even get me started on “Lost in the Light”….
- So far 0.00 users on Tidal.
- Received an honorary high school diploma from Barrie Central Collegiate in 2016.
- Successfully landed a kickflip in front of Jack Johnson, earning the highly coveted “right on dude.”
- Afie is currently planning on winning the Polaris Prize in 2018 and he would appreciate it if the Juno’s could change their rules about landed immigrants and just give Robbie one already.
- Other cool stuff that Robbie can tell you about.